CPE Scrappedfull story
We understand that the private bill replacing the CPE will give assistance to any employer hiring a young person between 16 to 25 years on a CDI contract, according to certain conditions.
Jacques Chirac has announced the replacement of the CPE with a device in favour of getting disadvantaged young people into work.
“Upon a proposal from the Prime Minister and after having heard the presidents of the parliamentary groups and the persons in charge for the majority, the President of the Republic has decided to replace article 8 of the law on the equal opportunity [the CPE] with a device in favour of the professional insertion of the young people in difficulty [getting disadvantaged young people into work]”, reads the official statement of the presidency.
This text was published around 10 hours, report Le Monde, after a one hour long meeting in Chiracs residency the Elysée with the Prime Minister, presidents of the two assemblies, and principal persons in charge for the parliamentary majority.
At the time of a declaration his residence, the Matignon at 10.30am CET, Domenique de Villepin confirmed Chiracs statement. “I proposed to the president the replacement of article 8 of the law on the equal opportunity by measurements in favour of the professional insertion of the young people more in difficulty”, he declared, before adding that “the new private bill will be introduced as of this morning.”
He noted that “the conditions necessary of confidence and serenity are met neither on the side of the young people, nor on the side of the companies to allow the application of the contract first engages”.
“I wanted to act quickly, because the dramatic situation and the despair of many young people required it”, it has says. “I wanted to propose a strong solution, because I have the conviction that beyond the engagement necessary of the State, only a better balance between more flexibility for the companies and more safety for the employees will enable us to break with unemployment in our country”, it explained. “That was not included/understood by all, I regret it”, it added.
“For several weeks, our country has known agitation. The disorders in the universities and the high schools threaten to affect the good organization of the end of year examinations. The demonstrations on public highways endanger the safety of the young people. All that means we now needed to find a fast exit from the crisis”.
- “A historical victory after a historical mobilization”, said the president of the UNL Karl Stoeckel.
- François Chérèque of the CFDT trade union believes that “the objective is achieved”.
- Bruno Julliard of student union UNEF now looks to “Maintain the pressure” after this “first victory”.
Even this morning, pressure on the government had remained steady as CGT trady unionists took action at two French ports. About sixty occupied the harbour office at Port-de-Bouc in the Bouches du Rhone delta from 6.30am, whilst a hundred blocked activities at a port in Marseilles.
In Clermont-Ferrand, between 150 and 250 students and high-school pupils occupied Monday morning of the tracks of the SNCF railway station.
Furthermore, days of action had been called for the 11th, 13th and 18th of April by the national coordination meeting of university and high school students